SAS Doctors' and Dentists' Programme - Chrysalis Leadership Programme
Chrysalis is a bespoke leadership programme designed specifically for SAS Doctors and Dentists funded by the Department of Health. It is delivered virtually over eight half day or four full day highly interactive sessions. The programme will enable you to build on your existing skills and support your personal development journey with new ideas and fresh thinking.
There will be taught sessions from experts in leadership, communication, quality improvement, working within high performing teams and influencing the system. The programme will include opportunities to learn new skills and then share your experience with colleagues. There will be an emphasis on self-reflection and group discussion. The course will be interactive using group work, role plays and case studies. It will provide a focused approach to virtual networking, encouraging you to build your community of SAS doctors and dentists.
Chrysalis includes a joint Share and Learn session where participants will share outcomes from a QI project you undertake. There will also be input and Q&As with senior leaders. Each participant will be offered a coaching session. Accreditation has been applied for through the Faculty of Leadership & Management.
Module 1 - Personal Leadership Journey
- Explore definitions of leadership concepts
- Understand leadership styles and how they impact on yourself and others
- Reflect on your own leadership journey and identify positive and negative influences
Module 2 - Introduction to QI
- Explore Quality Improvement theory and tools
- Understand QI v continuous improvement
- Data and measurement in QI
Module 3 - QI in Action
- Identify a QI initiative in your workplace
- Understand the system wide QI context in Northern Ireland
- Understand how project management can be used in QI
Module 4 - Everyday Leadership
- Identify GMC guidance on leadership
- Understand the NHS Healthcare Leadership Model and how to utilise the self assessment for development
- Understand collective leadership and your role in making it real your role
Module 5 - The Role of Personality in Leadership
- Identify your own personality profile using a diagnostic tool
- Understand the impact of personality on workplace relationships
- Be able to recognise the personality traits of others and respond appropriately
Module 6 - Communication in Healthcare
- Identify key elements of effective communication
- Understand how to de-escalate challenging situations
- Explore techniques to get your point across
Module 7 - Professionalism and Team Work
- Understand GMC professionalism within teams
- Understand stages of team development and the impact on performance
- Understand the relationship between leadership and high performing teams
Module 8 - Influencing the System + Panel Q&A
- Understand the key elements of systems leadership
- Knowledge to apply Myron’s Maxims in your own workplace
- Be able to engage with system leaders to effect change
Drop In QI Clinic
- An opportunity to get advice on your QI project
Share and Learn Final Event
- Present and share QI initiatives
Domain 1 - Professional Values and Behaviours / Domain 2 - Communication & Interpersonal Skills & Dealing with Complexity and Uncertainty / Domain 3 Professional Requirements & The healthcare system in the four countries / Domain 5 Leadership and Team Working / Domain 6 – Patient Safety and Quality Improvement / Domain 8 – Education and Training / Domain 9 – Research and Scholarship
This programme is only open to SAS Doctors and Dentists working HSC Trusts and Agencies.
In order to facilitate access there will be three cohorts. Each cohort will be limited to a maximum of 24 participants and will run between October 2021 and March 2022.
To apply go to Course dates & Venues tab and click 'Apply'.
Applicants are asked to apply for one set of dates only but let us know if you are flexible
Virtually by Zoom
Cohorts and Dates
9.30am - 12.30pm Fri 15 Oct
1.30pm - 4.30pm Wed 20 Oct
9.30am - 12.30pm Fri 5 Nov
9.30am - 12.30pm Mon 22 Nov
9.30am - 12.30pm Thurs 2 Dec
1.30pm - 4.30pm Tues 11 Jan
9.30am - 12.30pm Tues 25 Jan
9.30am - 12.30pm Tues 8 Feb
Drop in QI Clinic Fri 4 Feb
9.30am – 12.30pm Fri 11th March
9.30am – 4.30pm Tues 19 Oct
9.30am – 4.30pm Fri 12 Nov
9.30am – 4.30pm Thurs 16 Dec
9.30am – 4.30pm Tues 8 Feb
Drop in QI clinic Fri 4 Feb
9.30am – 12.30pm Fri 11 March
Due to continuing workplace Covid related pressures and the challenge of obtaining study leave - we have reduced the cohorts from three to two to maximise participant numbers on each
To apply go to Course Dates & Venues Tab and click 'Apply'.
This course is supported by the Department of Health.
There are currently no dates scheduled for this course, if you would like to submit an expression of interest please contact us.